site image

Our History


site image

A Glance In The Past


In the early 1800's many large, elegant houses were clustered around the west DeKalb Street area.  In 1823, Phineas Thronton, “seller of racoon skins, groceries and other items” bought land at the northeast corner of DeKalb and Campbell Streets where he built a large two story home.  In 1889, the property was purchased by Elizabeth Collins.  In November 1914, her son, A.R. Collins, placed an ad in THE CAMDEN CHRONICLE indicating “Collins Brothers, Undertakers for Colored People, Telephone 41” was opened for business.  

Collins operated his funeral home out of a small building facing Campbell Street until the structure was razed in the early 1950's.  The business moved to its current site in the white, two-story structure, while an empty lot (for parking) now faces Campbell Street.

Amon, Sr. died in 1960.  His eldest son, George, became owner and operator with his brothers, Mack, Sr. and Amon, Jr.

site image

Before earning his spot as a highly-respected citizen and businessman in Camden, George graduated from Mather Academy and attended Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, North Carolina and the McAllister School of Embalming in New York.  Amon, Jr. followed in his brother's footsteps and graduated from the McAllister School of Embalming in 1947.

Amon, Jr. worked at Collins Funeral Home until 1966, when he moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, and entered the insurance business.  He died in 1967.

Mack, Sr. disassociated himself from the funeral home professionally and attended the Illinois College of Optometry in Chicago after graduating from Mather Academy.  He moved to Charlotte, North Carolina and worked for an insurance company during the last decade of his life.  He died, December 31, 1975.

George, on the other hand, operated Collins Funeral Home up until his death, March 14, 1974.  

The glass hearse that sits in front of the funeral home was first used at the beginning of the business in 1914.  After motorized vehicles came on the scene, the hearse was retired in 1923.  But the quaint glass carriage has been used just once since then.  In March, 1980, one of Mrs. Collins students asked to be transported to the local cemetery (Cedars Cemetery) for burial by the carriage.  Mrs. Collins honored the special request and the carriage was restored to its proper place in front of the funeral home as the landmark.

Mrs. Willie Mae Collins became sole proprietor, following her husband's death, until June, 1999.  She died June 28, 2006.

site image

Today, nineteen years later (1999-2018), Collins Funeral Home has been owned and operated by Roosevelt Osborne, Sr. and Beverly J. Osborne. In March of 2018, A.J. Bracy joined the staff on a full time basis overseeing daily operations of the firm and becoming the sole proprietor. He has been charged with serving the community for the next generation.

From a humble beginning to the present, Collins Funeral Home continues to serve the families of Camden, greater Kershaw County and surrounding communities with compassion, dedication, dignity, and professionalism.  The motto remains the same, “rendering dignified services within the means of all.”

site image

Roosevelt Osborne, Sr. &  Beverly J. Osborne

site image

Rev. Anthony J. Bracy, Jr, Manager, Director and Proprietor


site image

site image

site image

© 2018 Collins Funeral Home, Inc.. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS